It has been said that our hair is our crowning glory and that we should always take care of it. I can even hear my Mama say that aside from your skin, thinning of hair shows that you are aging.
I was joining beauty pageants when i was 15 years old and i have endured all kinds of spray net and all sorts of scalp damaging ways to put on wigs (it was such a big hit that time!). My hair is naturally curly (i got it from my Tatay) and there was a time that straight hair is the “in” thing to do.
I had my hair rebonded for almost 10 years and i never miss the once in six months requirement plus i color my hair once every 3 months. Can you just imagine how much harmful ingredients have passed my hair? It reached to the point that my hair was getting brittle and my hair fall is too much.
Not until 4 years ago that i said to myself that i want my natural curls back. It was the time that digi-perm or the digital perm at the Korean salons was a hit. So i went to a Korean salon and asked if they can do my hair but after too much deliberation from their head stylist, the exact words in korean-tone english was “I’m sorry but your hair is very damaged. If we curl your hair, it will just stay for few days and then it will straighten again.” You just can imagine how devastated i am.
I then went to the salon of my friend where i have my usual hair rebonding and hair coloring. I told Tootsie (the owner of Red Lips Salon in Labangon), that i want him to curl my hair. Initially, he really did not approve of my request but after too much convincing, he gave up and agreed to curl my hair but told me that he is not liable for any further damages of my hair (because my hair was already damaged LOL). Tootsie used the old-school way of curling using Pagoda cold wave lotion, lo and behold, i got my curls back but it was very, very curly. I was even teased by my work mates that i have Sto. Niño-ish hair and it was really very stiff when you touch it. Tootsie assured me that the curls will normalize once i let my hair grow.
I searched the internet of products to use for damaged hair and try to experiment it each one of them.
Here are the list of my hair care products that helped me bring back the life of my dead hair:
After shampooing, i use this in lieu of a conditioner. I let the product stay for a minute or more. There are many variants of these but this is my favorite because i love the smell of my hair after using this product. This can be bought at any Watson’s store nationwide and sometimes they even offer Buy 2 Take 1 on this. This is sold at 169.00 per container and can last up to 3-4 weeks when used daily depending on your hair length.
I just discovered this product while doing my usual S&R shopping. For those who wanted sulfate-free Conditioner, i recommend this one. My favorite is the Collagen Bamboo because it really makes my hair soft and gives me beautiful waves. You may also want to buy similar sulfate-free conditioner at Healthy Options. This Marc Anthony product is sold at 329.95 per tube.
This is one of the great discovery of hair care products. I use this once a week, usually on a weekend when i have enough time to spend in the shower. I heard that the salons use this for hair treatment and then steam your hair and charge you a thousand. To save money, i bought this and do the treatment at home. Just put on shower cap after applying to hair and since i don’t have a steamer, i let it stay on my hair for 5-15 minutes. One container lasts for 4-5 months when used once a week.
But the greatest discovery among all hair products is vinegar. Yes you heard me right, vinegar! I do this once a week and every after hair color treatment. This is also applicable to those who have hair rebonding treatment or hair bleaching treatment. After shampooing, just pour the vinegar into your hair, rinse and then apply conditioner. The amount of the vinegar that i pour on my hair is the preparation seen in the picture above. You can decide on your own, depending on the lenghth of your hair. The reason why i do this on weekend and when i don’t have any important social event because of the smell that stays on your hair after application. This is actually the cheap version of Kerastase Oleo Relax. It has the same effect on my hair but with a smell unlike Kerastase who smells good after application.
Curl Setting Favorites
This is what i use to set my curls. Just pour a small amount on your damp hair and then you are good to go! I don’t blow dry my hair as it can cause more hair damage.
This is the cheaper version of Oleo Curl, FX Curls Up which can be bought at any Watson’s Store nationwide. I hoard when they have stocks because this sells fast. This is sold at Php299 per bottle while i bought the Oreo Curl at Php1,500 per bottle. A very big price difference!
Here are a few tips on taking care of your hair:
- Do not shampoo daily. I shampoo my hair every other day or once in two days. I do not have specific shampoo preference and when i shampoo, i immediately rinse it off my hair to avoid harmful ingredients to stay too long on my hair. At first, i was uncomfortable because at the middle of the day, my hair gets sticky but the benefits are great, i experienced less hairfall from not shampooing everyday.
- If you can’t bear to not shampoo everyday, use baby shampoos or sulfate-free shampoos. There is a Marc Anthony sulfate-free shampoo available at S&R too and there are sulfate-free shampoos available at Healthy Options.
- When i try a new product, i buy small tubes or container first especially when i heard it from a friend or just read about it in the net because different types of hair has different needs so i might not like it so there will be minimal waste.
- When you apply condiotioner or any hair treatment, massage your scalp too. A good hair starts from the scalp.
- When my hair is too much exposed to the sun, beach or pool i treat my hair asap even if it is not yet the schedule of my treatment.
- Should you wear spray net especially on special occassions, never let it stay on your hair too long. If possible wash it off as soon as possible.
- Take time to have your hair trimmed once in a while, i did this every 3 months before when i was trying to grow my hair back to my natural curls and to chop off the ends of my hair which is usually has split ends and the most damaged part of my hair.
- A well-balanced diet that contains the 13 essential vitamins can help maintain a healthy hair and essential for hair growth as what health experts agree. Vitamins A, D, E, K, C and the B complex group: thiamine,riboflavin,niacin,panthothenic acid, biotic, Vitamins B-6 and B-12 and folate. Having a healthy hair comes from within your body as to any beauty maintenance from hair, teeth, skin etc.
- Stress can cause too much hair fall, based on my experience, so when i feel way too stressed, i try to think on happy thoughts to clear my mind from stress because i don’t want look old and feel old! So never be drowned with stress because as long as we live, life problems are always there but your hair won’t be there forever! Take care of yourself well. 😘
“Your hair is the ball gown that you never take off.”—Jo Robertson
For any queries and comments about this blog, feel free to comment below or send me a message or email.